Saturday, February 12, 2011

Asian shit and other ink blots


Today, in a near-spontaneous moment, I was tattooed again. I shall elaborate. Ever since the day I set up my first tattoo consultation, I have tossed away my misconceived notion of tattooing as a spontaneous and impulsive action. In coming-of-age movies and on prime time television, actors and actresses make the 'drunken mistake' of getting some sort of Asian shit tattooed on them. This, in turn, led me to buy into this view on tattooing. The reality that I've encountered is a little different. If a consultation is necessary, a few weeks to a few months may be required to have one (depending on which parlor you frequent, and what time of the year), and once consulted, it may take another month or two to actually come in and 'do the deed' (so to speak).

So where does this 'near-spontaneity' come into play? On thursday (yes, three days ago), I was finishing up what may very well be the briefest tattoo consultation in the history of tattooing, when I was told that there was an opening on Saturday (yes, today) if that suited me. Weighing my options, I strode into this (I apologize for the redundancy of the phrase) 'near-spontaneity' with happiness and relatively little trepidation. I regret nothing (yet - let us be frank), and have already begun debating when is the most logical and sane time to walk down those steps and shell out my scrounged retail profits on more permanent artwork.

(as a quick aside, and as some form of explanation, while the beautiful and talented artist Carly was tattooing my forearm, this song came up on her playlist and, quite determined to listen to it once I was home and in a less compromising situation, I forced myself to remember the phrase 'lose your soul'. success, I suppose.) 


A few quick words on this photograph, I took it on a lovely and (relatively) mild winter day, and it remains my favourite photo that I've ever taken. I don't know what it is, but I bloody love it. Self-flattery out of the way, lately I have been feeling like these deceased spider bodies. I thought I had more to say on the matter, but that's all so I suppose I shall end on that note.
-Z

No comments:

Post a Comment